5+ Star Home Energy Rating! This truly exquisite open beam and timber frame ‘green home’ with passive solar design and active solar thermal on over 12 acres of paradise with picturesque views of the mountains and valley with neighboring farms from every room, was constructed by one of our areas most reputable craftsman builders. Not a detail was missed in the crafting of this beautiful light & airy, energy efficient home with open floor plan for entry level living with the most efficient use of space. This home is the entertainer/chef’s dream, with 12′ kitchen island, 36” KitchenAide gas range with convection, beautiful stained concrete countertops, slate tile backsplash, a large pantry with custom shelving, true craftsman-built by ”Bowmans” Shaker-style cabinets of quartersawn white oak. Cabinets include roll out trays, two roll out spice cabinets and a mixer lift. Drawers with dividers for dishes, bakeware, pots & pans. Divided utensil drawers and two extra wide drawers with double trays for knives & silverware. The 12′ kitchen island has double sided cabinets and a breakfast bar. There is also a extra vegetable sink. Plenty of room for several cooks in the kitchen at once. The kitchen is open to the great room with a large dining area with mountain view, living area with custom built in cabinets, vented gas fireplace framed with slate tile, a limestone hearth & quartersawn white oak “Bowman” cabinetry. The great room is topped with exposed beams open to the second floor loft. See property tour for more!
Entry level master suite where you will wake up feeling like you have truly arrived in Heaven with the spectacular views from your new bedroom. A door from the master leads to a side porch and a view of more stars than you ever imagined existed. The master bath boasts painted maple cabinets, granite countertops with dual sinks & dual medicine cabinets and an oversized slate tile shower with radiant floor heat. The walk in closet includes a custom closet system and super convenient washer dryer location.
As you make your way upstairs you will pass a large built-in bookcase with cabinets and shelves to house your library. There is a second smaller set of built-in bookcases at the top of the stairs. The upper level includes two additional bedrooms. The full bath includes a painted maple cabinet with travertine counter top, travertine floors and travertine tile surrounding the extra deep bathtub. There is also a linen closet. The loft office/family room area and two guest rooms are carpeted. Large arched windows and a shoji screen window in the third bedroom insure more picturesque views of the mountains.
Stained concrete floors and kitchen countertops are found throughout the main level and are an integral part of the passive solar design providing warmth in the winter and helping to cool the home in the summer. Solar-generated hot water provides the primary heating source for the whole house via a radiant floor heating system within both the concrete floors downstairs as well as the carpeted upstairs level (with a secondary tankless hot water heater for back-up on the occasional cloudy day). Enjoy endless hot showers with your solar-heated hot water. The custom Kolbe windows throughout the house are designed with low-e glass to prevent heat loss in the winter and insulation from the heat in the summer. This highly energy efficient home is constructed with structured insulated panels (SIPs), insulated concrete forms and energy efficient windows and doors. The deep overhang of the cedar tongue and groove eaves provides protection from the sun in the summer while permitting beams of sunshine to reach the interior in the winter.
Doors on main level are 36″ wide. Bathrooms include ADA-compliant, comfort-height elevated toilets. Owners entry hall has an extra deep coat closet and a built-in cabinet for dropping off keys and outlets for charging your electronics as well as garage entry. The two car garage has an additional storage room as well as overhead storage lifts. Interior and exterior sound system. Water softener.
Enjoy a timber framed porch with heavy beams and tongue and groove cedar ceiling shakes that continue around the eaves of the home.
The exterior is covered in stone topped by Maibec Eastern White Cedar Shake shingles.(50 year warranty against rot, 30 year on color) An aggregate patio stretches across the front of the home to provide plenty of room for relaxing, dining and entertainment. The covered porch areas include ceiling fans.
The property includes a rock-walled firepit area surrounded by perennials, a 20×30′ two-story barn with board and batten exterior, a 50×60′ organic garden surrounded by 7-foot deer fencing, fruit trees and a Generac 17KW all-house generator. See full list of interior and exterior features as well as the Energy Efficient Construction list.
HERS SCORE OF 36! MAKES THIS HOME 64% MORE ENERGY EFFICIENT. Estimates available to go completely solar, just contact agent for details.
AND almost all the way off of the grid. (They do use electric for lights & Air conditioner) the rest is passive and active solar.
They grow all their own organic fruits & veggies, and buy grass fed meat & get eggs from neighboring farmer. There is a whole house generator with 500lb propane tank. The setting is truly “paradise”.
Schedule your appointment today to view this amazing, one of a kind home located 2 miles from the Appalachian trail, 5 miles to Peaks of Otter lodge & famous trout fishing streams, 15 minutes to the James River & Buchanan, one of the best antiquing towns in the US. A hunter’s paradise and still convenient to Lexington, Roanoke, Staunton, Lynchburg & Bedford & Smith Mountain Lake.
Our design goal for this home was to build a “not-so-big” jewel box of a home to age in place that was highly energy efficient. Here are some details
Main floor = 1836 sq ft
Second floor = 714
Garage = 545
- Underslab XPS Foam R-8 or better, upgraded # 5 rebar in footers
- Rear Foundation Wall Amvic Insulated Concrete Forms R-22
- Exterior Walls 4.5″ Insulspan Structural Insulated Panels R 18
- Roof Panels 8.5″ Insulspan Structual Insulated Panels R 34
- Flash & Batt Spray Foam Insulation for Garage and Ceiling
- Primary Heat System: Radiant Floor
- Solar as Primary energy source for Radiant Floor and Domestic Hot Water
- Rannai Instant Hot Water Heater for cloudy days
- LP Gas Heat Pump (3 ton 14 SEER) as secondary heat source (Never used!)
- Kolbe LoE windows
- Custom Quarter Sawn White Oak Front and Side Door
- Maibec Eastern White Cedar Shake (50 yr warranty against rot, 30 yr on color) with
- Stone siding
- Kolbe Ultra Series Custom Casement Window
- Timber Frame White Oak Front Porch with cedar tongue and groove ceiling.
- Cedar Tongue & Groove Soffits
- Aggregate Stone Patio across entire front of home
- Custom exterior light fixtures from Old California Lantern Company
- Ceiling fans on front and side porch
- Timberline Prestique High Definition 30 year Architectural Shingles
- Two story barn with board and batten exterior
- Exposed Beams
- Custom made Cabinets throughout home made by Bowman’s Woodworking in Rocky Mount
- Gas Fireplace of Slate Tile, Limestone Hearth & Quarter Sawn White Oak Cabinetry
- Shaker style cabinets of Quarter Sawn White Oak with roll out trays with 200 lb rated hardware.
- Stained concrete countertops in kitchen; Slate tile backsplash.
- Large pantry with Closet Maid shelving
- 36″ KitchenAide Gas Range with Convection Oven
- Kitchenaide dishwasher.
- Guest half bath main floor
- Quarter Sawn White Oak Cabinetry with granite countertop;
- Master Bath main floor
- Painted Maple with Granite Countertop with two sinks & large slate tile shower with radiant heat floor.
- Full Bath upstairs
- Travertine counter, floor and tile surrounding tub
- All baths with ADA compliant comfort height elevated toilets.
- Stained cement floors on main level, carpet & pad compatible with radiant flooring upstairs.
- Quarter Sawn White Oak Cabinetry in Foyer & Built-in Bookcases located on two stair landings
- Red oak hardwood stairs
- Quarter sawn white oak newels, handrails, wrought iron ballasters.
- Shoji Screen window in third bedroom to provide view of mountain landscape.
- All interior doors are solid not hollow core. Doors on main floor are 36″ wide.
- Energy recovery fresh air ventilation (ERV)
- Generac 17 KW all-house generator
Wainwright & Co. Realtors
16503 Booker T. Washington Hwy.
Moneta, VA. 24121
Licensed in State of Virginia
Equal Opportunity Housing